What To Put In Your Gym Bag
|Photo by Ri|
- Firstly, having a bag with stuff in it just for the gym really makes life more comfortable for me. I don't need to scramble around looking for things and I have what I need to make my workout nice when I get there. This could be as simple as a grocery bag that you keep in a special place and put in your schoolbag when you head out or as fancy as you want to get. Whatever works.
- A lock. Stuff getting stolen sucks and carrying a bag full of your stuff is often not allowed, plus lugging winter boots around is awkward- you're gonna want to lock up your stuff.
|Photo by Carlos Luz|
- Water! I carry this with me almost everywhere and it's especially important when you're working out. You're sweating, your exerting yourself, water is your friend.
- Gym clothes that are appropriate, fit right, and make you feel awesome. Not only is this essential to not be nude, but having clothing that fits right lets you move well and having gym clothes that makes you feel awesome gives you a little extra positive push. I recommend wearing layers -such as a hoodie with a tank, that way you can be prepared to sweat, but also to cool down.
- A Towel. Even if you're not going to take a shower, if you're going to sweat, you're going to want to at least wipe your forehead. It feels a lot nicer than getting salt in your eyes, plus some gyms require you to carry a towel.
|Photo by Horia Varlan|
- Your cleanup kit. If you've got someplace to be after your workout, it helps to have such thing on hand. Soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, and a brush all make nice additions to the gym bag. I have these things in mini format so that I can keep them with me when I head to a workout. I also keep them in their own plastic bag because if they're wet, I don't want everything else to be.
(*Ladies only and honesty alert*- pads, tampons, etc. If you want to feel self-conscious, you can easily achieve this by wondering if your thighs are sweating or if your period protection failed. Not too pretty, but just sayin'. If I'm only bringing my gym bag, I can easily forget to add these, so it doesn't hurt to have a few left in the bag for emergencies. Just sayin'.)
- Your plan. When you head to the gym, have a plan. This might be a workout routine, or the idea of going to a specific class. Whatever it is, a game plan will help you get the most out of your gym time. Along with that game plan, if you've got goals, make sure you have the right stuff to track them. This might be as simple as an exercise journal and a pencil to keep track of your progress or a watch to keep track of time for planks or laps.
- Something to make the experience awesome FOR YOU. For me it used to be a buddy, then the idea of beating my running time, then it was a few cartwheels in an empty studio to feel cool or some fun music gives me a kick when I hit the gym. Not only does it keep me pumped if I'm not feeling zen about the exercise, but it helps me be in my own little world, aka, not worrying about people looking at me.Whatever works for you, this is the thing.
Hope the list is helpful next time you head to your workout. Is there anything I forgot? If so, comment, cause sharing is pretty sweet. And, as always, if you like what you read, don't forget to share, subscribe, or connect with me on Twitter, Pinterest, or Facebook.
Live well and remember to sweat, Charlotte :-)